🖤 🎃 🧜🏿♂️ Tricks and Treats 🧜🏽♀️ 🎃🖤
October’s issue embraces hard goodbyes, the sinister, and the bittersweet.
In this issue, we have murderous mermaids, storm-tossed seas, obsessive humans, mer graveyards and ghosts, and a few different examinations of disability in mer-terms.
We have a tiny flash piece by Umiyuri Katsuyama translated from the Japanese by Toshiya Kamei and an original comic by Miranda Leyson and Elyse N. Russell, both of which warn about what you may awaken if you dare to disturb the waters.
Cathin Yang and Coral Alejandra Moore give us a hefty each to each pairing about what happens when humans go searching for merghosts. Marie Brennan’s reprint piece gives us a siren seeking desperately to save her own soul, while Marlane Quade Cook gives us a tale of tempests and grand destruction, and of the choice of the destroyer to salvage even one life. Meanwhile, Marisca Pichette and Ori Jay give us meditations on undersea graveyards.
Csilla Kleinheincz plays us a song of human obsession mistaken for love, translated from the Hungarian by Bogi Takács, while Stefan Slater gives us a poignant look at the idea of love meaning being willing to let the object of your affections go, and Ashley Bao shows us what it means to become a siren’s bride (spoiler: it means death…)
Melanie Jayne Ashford gives us an essay about disability and how merfolk are like disabled people in certain ways, and we’ve also got a story by Kathryn Kania, and poems by Felicia Martinez, Chinua Ezenwa-Ohaeto, and Elizabeth Kestrel Rogers that explore the limits of embodiment and mer-resonance for the disabled, chronically ill, and wounded.
Below you’ll find 17 pieces of mermaid magic that are both, tricks and treats:
Table of Treasures
- The Ossuary at Ocean’s End by Marisca Pichette
- Elemental by Marlane Quade Cook
- portrait of a girl in water by Ashley Bao
- A Thousand Souls by Marie Brennan
- Seafloor Skull by inkshark
- The Ghosts of Mermaids & The Answer Atop Mermaid’s Rest by Coral Alejandra Moore and Cathin Yang
- Awoken by Elyse Russell and Miranda Leyson
- The Abyssal Architect by Ori Jay
- One Last Shriek by Umiyuri Katsuyama
- Merfolks as a Passage from My Thoughts and Doings by Chinua Ezenwa-Ohaeto
- This Is Your Home by Stefan Slater
- Mermaidsong by Csilla Kleinheincz
- Fish Out of Water: How Mermaids Represent Disabled, Queer Folk Like Me by Melanie Jayne Ashford
- “a sea-like condition” by Felicia Martinez
- This Is You by Kathryn Kania
- Before You Go in Search of Spirits & The Truth They Hear in My Heart by Cathin Yang and Coral Alejandra Moore
- Dreams of Another Life by Elizabeth Kestrel Rogers
- Charting the Next Adventure
Download the Mermaids Monthly Issue #9 – September 2021