by Marla Faith
© Copyright Marla Faith
Marla Faith: I grew up in Chicago and then went to Bard College and Kansas City Art Institute before receiving my BFA in Painting from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and my MS in Museum Leadership from Bank Street College in NYC. I’ve directed art education programs at The Art Institute of Chicago, The Guggenheim Museum, Storm King Art Center in Mountainville, NY, and Cheekwood in Nashville. I have loved teaching art in public and private schools since moving from NY to Nashville in 1990. In Nashville, I’ve had one person exhibits at The Parthenon, the airport, & Williamson County Enrichment Center; several two person exhibits, and been included in many juried and invitational exhibits throughout the states.
In 2017, Sheriar Press published my book of art and poetry, called Listening to the Bones, in 2020 OmPoint Press published my book The Diver and the Pearl, and under my own label Ladders of Light Studio Press, I published Art of the Divine: Buddhist, Hindu, and Earth Gods and Goddesses, which contains my art and poetry on these subjects.
Art and writing have been my spiritual path, healing journey, psychological mirror, and a way of being a conduit to bring more beauty into the world. My art usually has a narrative thread that comes into being through playing with color, light, and form to achieve harmony and balance. My poetry is intuitive, as if I am channeling messages from a higher self.
Please view my paintings, drawings, and collages at marlafaith.com, and read my poetry on Facebook at Marla Faith Poetry. My books can be purchased from my website, Sheriar Books, Barnes and Noble, and Amazon.
Read the Rest of the December Issue
- The Rime of the Midwinter Mermaids by Kelly Jarvis
- What to Do After Receiving a Starlit Pearl by Mari Ness
- Mermaid’s Hook by Liz Argall
- Which Inland Waterways Merfolk Are You? by Nelly Geraldine García-Rosas and S.R. Mandel
- Mermaid Care by Jonathan Crowe
- Lotus Eater by Cameron Harvey
- The Catfish Sisters by Lisa M. Bradley
- The North American Wombats Guide to Random Sea Creatures: The Sea Hare by Ursula Vernon
- Merbraids by Amal El-Mohtar, Caitlyn Paxson and Jessica P. Wick
- Mermaid by Marla Faith
- Magdelena the Mermaid by Ana Merino, translation by Toshiya Kamei
- The Space Mermaid’s Garden by Beth Goder
- How to Spot A Mermaid by Emily Fox
- Deepwater Dance by Elaine Ho
- Into the Light by Elaine Ho