Hello readers! Welcome to the fifth fintastic issue of Mermaids Monthly – inside you’ll find independence, understanding, and a recipe for remembering. There are 17 separate mermaid takes in the form of two poems, two comics, five short stories, seven illustrations, and a novelette! We didn’t even know we published novelettes until this month!
These sketches and stories are bold renderings of isolation, transformation, and wisdom; with a dash of “I told you so.” History, heritage, and hope all have their moments; and if you read till the end, you can find out more about how we went about finding the magic for these pages. A slice of the mermaid section of my TBR list makes an appearance as well as an interview with two mermaid authors whose books are out now! Dive in, the water is delightful.
- An Interview with the Mermaid on Display at the National Aquarium by B. Sharise Moore
- Kanaka Mer by AJ Hartson
- Fisherman’s Soup by Kristina Ten
- Mermaid Eating by Chlo’e Camonayan
- Walk on Water by Yvette R. Murray
- NB, Steampunk Mer by AJ Hartson
- How to Bind a Sailor’s Heart by Jelena Dunato
- Pen and Ink Mer by Liz Aguilar
- Sirens of the South by Gee Pascal
- Be Brave by Caitlin Cheowanich
- The Donkey and the Mermaid by Panchita Otaño
- Fat Mermaid in: Wardrobe Malfunction by Grace Vibbert and Marie Vibbert
- Sinking, Singing by Gwynne Garfinkle
- Goth Mer #1 by Che Gilson
- Operating from a Space of Truth: An Interview with Amy L. Bernstein and Michelle D. Smith by Julia Rios
- The Incident at Veniaminov by Mathilda Zeller
- Submissions Report by Julia Rios
- Goth Mer #2 by Che Gilson
- Mer-Maid and Mer-Butler by Ivor Healy
Download the Mermaids Monthly Issue #5 – May 2021
Subscribe to Mermaids Monthly
Get your fiction fast and fresh and help us pay for more fantastic content!