by Annie Taylor
© Copyright Annie Taylor
Annie Taylor is the illustrative and textile artist behind Whitstabletail: where mermaids and fairy folk flirt with carnies and Kahlos.
You can find her on Instagram and twitter as @whitstabletail, and buy small prints, dolls, and embroideries at her Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/WhitstableTails
Here is her personal statement:
Living on the North Kent coast of the UK in a town known for Oysters and sunsets and smuggling, mermaids are never far from my thoughts. These thoughts then spill out onto the page or onto fabric, and I draw either with pen or needle. Some of my work stays as illustrations, others become dolls.
Mermaids took centre stage in my life in 2010 when I took part in the Whitstable Biennale (Festival of contemporary arts) telling the Whitstable Tail dressed as a mermaid in a costume created from rubbish. The Tail is the story of a boy who falls in love with a mermaid. My larger than life size dolls mostly have legs, albeit often with two heads, but everyone still calls them mermaids. Don’t ask me why.
I am Co-Founder of the Profanity Embroidery Group, and member of the Society for Embroidered Work.
Someone once said of me “has she nothing better to do?” it sums things up perfectly.
Read the Rest of the April Issue
- The Coral Fairy by Lorraine Schein
- The Undersea Crossing Guard by Lorraine Schein and Kris Herndon
- After Atlantis by Lorraine Schein
- The Lady in the Lake by Lorraine Schein
- Gothmaid by Annie Taylor
- The Mermaid’s Dilemma by Michael Angelo Stephens
- Caught by Stevie Rose Maguire
- Cold Weather Accessories for Imaginary Creatures by Lorriane Schein and Kris Herndon
- Bathyscape by S. Brackett Robertson
- Blonde Mermaid by Denisse Di Stelle
- My Little Mermaid by Lorraine Schein
- The Collector by Tara Campell
- Mischievous by Dianita
- The Many Mermaids of Fiction by J. D. Harlock
- Wistful by Annie Taylor
- A Minnow, or Perhaps a Colossal Squid by C. S. E. Cooney and Carlos Hernandez
- The Fin(e) Print by Meg Frank
- Wanted: New Captain & Crew by Julia Rios