by Kris Herndon and Lorraine Schein
STOP! IN THE NAME OF FISH– BEFORE WE BREAK YOUR BOAT!
By order of M.E.R.M.—Mermaids’ Education and Resistance Movement
Touch not the coral.
Touch not the fish.
The sea’s not your playground
to use as you wish!
I’m the undersea crossing guard from S.W.I.M.*
protecting my class of sea children.
I teach them how to recognize and avoid
those who would poach, hook, and cook us.
I stop the encroaching overfishers, waste dumpers, coral harvesters…
all the air-breathing enemies of our ocean home from going farther.
But I wave through other fish, friendly snorkelers, scuba divers,
fellow mermaids, selkies, pirate ghosts, and oceanographers.
*Society for the Welfare of Imperiled Marinelife
© Copyright Kris Herndon and Lorraine Schein
Kris Herndon is a writer, musician and artist whose byline has appeared in The New York Times, Reader’s Digest, Entrepreneur, Wired, Metropolis, Think, Stop Smiling, Paste, Art Papers, Architecture Boston, and many other publications. Find her at @herndy on Twitter and Instagram, and see more of her work at www.herndy.com.
Lorraine Schein is a New York writer. Her work has appeared in VICE, Terraform, Strange Horizons, Enchanted Conversation, NewMyths, and Eye to the Telescope, and in the anthologies Tragedy Queens: Stories Inspired by Lana del Rey & Sylvia Plath and XVIII: Stories of Mischief & Mayhem. The Futurist’s Mistress, her poetry book, is available from Mayapple Press: www.mayapplepress.com
Read the Rest of the April Issue
- The Coral Fairy by Lorraine Schein
- The Undersea Crossing Guard by Lorraine Schein and Kris Herndon
- After Atlantis by Lorraine Schein
- The Lady in the Lake by Lorraine Schein
- Gothmaid by Annie Taylor
- The Mermaid’s Dilemma by Michael Angelo Stephens
- Caught by Stevie Rose Maguire
- Cold Weather Accessories for Imaginary Creatures by Lorriane Schein and Kris Herndon
- Bathyscape by S. Brackett Robertson
- Blonde Mermaid by Denisse Di Stelle
- My Little Mermaid by Lorraine Schein
- The Collector by Tara Campell
- Mischievous by Dianita
- The Many Mermaids of Fiction by J. D. Harlock
- Wistful by Annie Taylor
- A Minnow, or Perhaps a Colossal Squid by C. S. E. Cooney and Carlos Hernandez
- The Fin(e) Print by Meg Frank
- Wanted: New Captain & Crew by Julia Rios